Military & Overseas Voters

Temporary Overseas Voters

Am I considered a Temporarily Overseas Voter?

A temporarily overseas voter is a voter currently outside of the United States who intends to return, even if the return date is uncertain.

I am currently overseas with intent to return; do I need to update my voter registration?

No. A temporary stay or visit does not change a voter’s residence for voting (§6.10(8)). For voting purposes, being temporarily overseas is no different than any other voter who is temporarily away from home (vacation, seasonal travel, work-related travel, etc.).

How do I request to receive an absentee ballot electronically?

 A request for electronic ballot delivery should be submitted directly to your municipal clerk. The request can be submitted by email and should include the voter’s name, registration address, the election(s) requested, email/fax number where the ballot should be sent, and a copy of an acceptable photo ID.

Can I return my completed ballot electronically?

No. Wisconsin does not currently allow any absentee ballots to be returned electronically. (§6.87(3)(d)) & (§6.87(6))

I’m no longer overseas, how do I update my status?

If you are no longer temporarily overseas, the only action required would be to cancel any existing absentee ballot request associated with that status by contacting your municipal clerk.

You are still eligible to vote via absentee ballot, but a new absentee request indicating you are no longer temporarily overseas would be required